Location : Ramtree Moss , Whernside, Yorkshire Dales
This is one of my favourite last-minute camp locations that I only really use when I’m confident its going to be a clear free evening.
It’s a great location in either summer or winter, though be careful driving up to the start point if there is ice/snow on the roads as road up often isn’t gritted.
The hike up is short and sweet, the location offers excellent panoramic views and it’s far from the 3 peaks crowds that plague the eastern side of Whernside. I’ve always has this site entirely to myself, which I love!
OS Map & RouteDownload file for GPS
- Start : SD699 745
- Camp : SD711 766
- Distance : 4km
- Time : 1 hour
- Ascent : 230m
- Final Altitude :
- Magnificent limestone paving and numerous shake-holes
- A great view across to Ingleborough in the south east, especially at sunrise.
- To the west views across the Lune Valley
- There is a small layby at the start of the route or a few areas further along the road.
- You can park overnight in Ingleton and walk up instead (the hike in forms part of the Ingleton Falls Walk route
- Good star visibility on a moonless night over Ingleborough, though there is some light pollution in the far distance.
- Not many water sources on the top due to the limestone so bring water up.